I”m a note taker, a list maker, a post-it note queen.. I try so hard to be organised but unfortunately it usually ends up with a thousand and one scraps of scribbled on, coffee stained, pieces of paper cluttering up my night stand. That eventually end up being chucked away in bulk because it’s too much of a mess for it to be worth delving into, even for the most important of information! This organisation stuff just doesn’t come naturally to me.. So I decided I needed a hand and began looking into the Midori. I chose the Midori, above other organisation notebooks like Moleskine and FiloFax, for a few reasons. I had previously owned a few Moleskine notebooks before and to me they don’t reaaaally feel like anything special (sorry die hard Moleskine fans) and I wanted to feel like the absolute nuts with my fancy new i’m-going-get-my-life-together notebook! As far as FiloFax, that was ruled out once I realised how complicated and expensive it would be to get it to the UK. Plus, there was really no persuading me in any other direction once I had seen a Midori and set my heart on it.
There is just endless potential for personalisation and customisation! You end up with a notebook that really does feel like your notebook, none else has one the same, it is your life in a fancy leather cover. So okay, confession time, mine isn’t a real Midori. It’s a Fauxdori. It’s a Midori-style notebook. It’s essentially exactly the same but without the brand name okay? My notebook is made by Foxydori and I bought it on etsy!
They did a fantastic job with the packaging, complete with a suede cord to tie it all together, and considering it came all the way from the US the delivery time was pretty good. I am really pleased with it, the leather is a lot tougher and more ridged than I imagined but I assume that’s something you compromise for not getting Midori brand? And also who knows it may soften with time, leather does kind of look better aged and battered doesn’t it? For me the only downside is the price. I feel like a notebook needn’t be that expensive.. especially when essentially it is just a leather sheet folded in half with elastic cord through it.. and especially especially when it doesn’t actually include the paper to go inside!
Buttttt, since it’s so customisable you can literally choose every detail of how the cover will look.. the colour, texture, amount of cords on the inside and out, colour of cords, any monogram or other stamp, size, charms the list goes on! And since it is real leather and hand made I thought fair enough of the cover price..
(However if you have the time and means to make one yourself then do it! They aren’t that hard and this is a fantastic tutorial on how!) Now one thing I was not going to do was pay £4-£8 per book to go inside the bloody thing. Sorry Midori but that is ridiculous. For one thing you are most likely going to want to put many different books/inserts in there to make it truly personalised and functional and secondly if you’re anything like me a complete listaholic you are going to go through paper like crazy and those books barely hold enough paper for me to decide what socks to put on today in list form.. So I have 3 options for you: 1. Etsy. All hail Etsy it is a life saver! Etsy is full to the brim of people who have created really cute little books and inserts of their own to fit Midori style notebooks! The designs are great, the quality is perfect and since they aren’t a huge blood sucking corporation they graciously sell their lovingly made creations for a fraction of the price of the originals! So kind of them! Faves:
- GrowingUpGoddess’s custom lined notebook
- DIYwinkel’s set of 4 aztec notebooks
- WhimsicalWende’s super colourful notebook
Now if they still are out of your price range I get you, it’s cool, i’m with you then the wonderful people at Etsy have created designs that you buy and then print yourself at yet a lower price! £2 for a calendar insert with cute design details rather than £8 for a bland soulless calendar insert? Yes please! Faves:
- GrowingUpGoddess’s printable daily planner She just does great stuff!
- ThePlannerEmporium’s printable floral calendar
- ASouthernLadysDesign’s wellness planner great idea!
2. Get creative! Make them yourself! This option is totally free and you get a product that is tailor made for you exactly the way you want it! There are lots of tutorials if you’re unsure how to start! I used this youtube tutorial by InspiredBlush on YouTube as a guide while making my inserts but then totally customised the pages to suit me!
3. Now if the above free option appeals to you but you don’t have the time/patience/creative flare to create your own try searching for some free printables you like! They won’t be as customised as ones you make yourself but, hey, they’re free! There are tons of great prinatbles on pinterest and Mylifeallinoneplace has a ton of free inserts you can download. So all in all i’m pleased with my purchase. It’s still in the making, it’s looking scrawny at the moment, but I have big plans for it. I want to create a journey tracker section with tons of maps, I want to add a place for photographs and I also want to stuff full it with sketchbook paper. I will keep you updated as it grows!